Monday, August 31, 2009

What a year to be an Essendon supporter

What would most Essendon supporters remember of the seasons between 2002 and 2009?
I know I've been to my 11 games per season but I'm really struggling:
  • I remember (missing) Jim's 2004 game where he hugged a fan.
  • I remember Jim and Sheed's last game - both at the G and then at Subiaco.
Now, 2009 is a completely different story! There was the Anzac day game, after which my voice was ruined for a couple of days; both Carlton games, which just warmed the heart; I think the first Hawthorn game left supporters  feeling that maybe Essendon were finals worthy and not just lucky.

Then there were the last 3 weeks. The St Kilda game is one I will always remember. The feeling that Essendon were just unstoppable in the third quarter took me right back to 2000. Finally, there was Saturday's game against Hawthorn. Hawthorn were undermanned, probably younger (I've thrown out my Prospectus) but they were the reigning Premiers! Essondon were fitter, smarter and much more mature and composed when they needed to be (oh, and after the game).

Who knows what this week will bring with regard to suspensions, appeals, elimination and qualifying finals. All I know is that in 50 years time when I'm looking back on my life as an Essendon supporter I will remember with great pleasure the thrill of being a bomber in 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I present an alternative hypothesis for your life in 50 years:

    In the next few years the global economy will completely collapse, rendering Australia a totalitarian dystopia. The government will then pacify the populous with a sport in which convicted criminals fight for their lives against hardened gladiators like Sub Zero, Buzzsaw and Captain Freedom. Clearly AFL will take a backseat to this superior form of entertainment and by the time you're 75 you'll be sitting in your rocking chair reminiscing about the times Dynamo hunted someone down in his buggy and shot lightning bolts out of his fingertips, killing his opponent instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The government will then pacify the populous with a sport in which convicted criminals fight for their lives against hardened gladiators like Lloyd, Hird and Skeletor"

    ReplyDelete