Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A summary of things that have interested me lately.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/
Ferfal here writes about experiences from the (numerous) economic collapses in Argentina. I don't believe that the US/Australia/Greece anywhere else is heading societal collapse, however, reading about one that happened is really interesting.

Outliers: The Story of Success
This book was simply amazing! It is not, as it sounds, a business book. It attempts to explain why people/cultures achieve success and others with similar starting points don't. It left me with a really strong sense of social justice - I believe that was its intention, I wasn't being super insightful. I would like to elaborate or have a discussion with someone about it but I'm not about to preach on my blog. Read the book!

And some music.



Kelis gets a bad rap because of that milkshake song. It got popular, no one had heard of her, she sings hip hop, therefore everyone thinks she must actually be rubbish - if that logic doesn't make sense to you then you're not alone. This song is cruisey, funny and super sexy. I first heard it in this Diplo mix which itself is a killer. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually like the milkshake song, it has a fantastically minimal soundscape. I might be the only one getting this, but I think it feels kind of post-apocalyptic.

    You could definitely write more about these outliers. Your choices are simple: either accept that this is a blog, and that if you can't preach here, you can't do it anywhere. Blogs are inner monologues that we pretend people care about. The other choice is to do what most of the internet does and take somebody else's content and regurgitate it as your own. You could write an insightful and well-researched article about the phenomenon and only the less than one percent of your friend circles would be able to pull you up on it. That's what I've done here actually, this whole comment is just a comment I copy-pasted from somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think because she's such a good RnB singer (rather than an RnB warbler or yeller) most of her songs can get away with low key production. Also, most of her songs sound 'minor' to my very untrained ear.

    I promise I will write some more about Outliers. Plus, In my drive to be original, I will ensure 45% of the words I use are newly created. Whenstabout.

    ReplyDelete