Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dual Boot OpenSuse and Windows 7

I just installed Windows 7 over my existing (dell infected) Vista installation alongside a working version of OpenSuse 11.2. This is how I got everything working again.



You'll need:

  • Windows 7 DVD
  • OpenSuse 11.2 DVD


If you are starting with a fresh computer then install Windows first, then install opensuse. The installer is pretty smart, will shrink your windows partition and get the boot menu working properly so you can select to boot into Windows/suse when you turn on your computer.

As I said, I already had a working install of 11.2 and had no desire to reinstall so I just threw in the Windows 7 DVD and went from there.

I selected to install over Vista and it all went smoothly. Windows booted after an impressively speedy installation (compared to XP). However, my boot menu had disappeared, I could no longer select to load suse!

I booted with the OpenSuse DVD and selected to automatically repair the installation. It found some issues, asked me if it should fix them and I always selected to let it automatically do its thing.

Now windows won't appear in the boot menu but don't fear, we can get it back!


  • Go to the Boot Loader editor in YaST.
  • Select Add...
  • Set it up like the picture below (notice the chainloader setting). You will need to select the Windows 7 partition. If you can't remember which partition was the windows one then have a look in the partition manager in YaST and do some deducing.



After that my system was ready to go. Windows did run its chkdsk which caused some concern but I've read that is normal.

I would like to add that so far I've been really impressed with Windows 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment