Thursday, December 10, 2009

I have a dream: Great Bike GPS

And someone made it:









 
Garmin Edge 705

I've been reading reviews and it seems to do almost everything that my ideal bike computer would do:
  • GPS, elevation, temperature;
  • heartrate;
  • ghosts of trails or a 'training partner' to compete against;
  • inter-device connectivity for sharing data with fellow users; and
  • online community to share data with.
It's bloody expensive at ~$500US (I think $300 would be a more appropriate pricepoint, but whilst no competitors exist I guess they can charge what they want) but most reviews are very positive about the quality and feature set.

I really want to know more about their 'training partner' as I've always thought that ghost partner to race against was a great idea in a bike computer. I would love (hate actually) to be able to see myself from last weekend gaining on me as I rode up a hill, knowing that I must beat him.

This does bring up a problem though: what if you don't want to race? Once I started timing my 5km runs I also started to skip runs when I wasn't feeling 100%. My logic was why run when I knew I wasn't going to beat my time? Of course this had a double negative effect. If I skipped a run I was inevitably slower next time, even more demoralising as I actually felt good and then didn't perform.

Would this happen if I had a 705? Would I even care about that if I had $500 to spend on a bike accessory? (I don't have that to spend on a bike!). Could I make a better bike GPS? These are today's important questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment