Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Ashes vs The Tour (aka SBS v SBS2)


This test has proved both the value and the frustration of independent umpires in cricket. Each time an Australian is questionably dismissed (which has, admittedly, been quite a few times) I want to cry 'cheat' and blame some biased umpire. But... I just can't. It is very frustrating. 

I guess it all evens out in the end as I remember in the 2007/2008 series against India, Australia did very well with the umpires. As a result of the Aussies' good luck and India's frustrations I remember Singh broke out some classy racism on Andrew Symonds, I wonder if Australia will do the same?


Rudi Koertzen would have given him out caught and LBW


Now to The Tour, I'm giving it 1 hour to get interesting. All week we've been waiting for Verbier and yet this isn't really enthralling stuff. I've tried to get excited by the team tactics, by the challenge for the green jersey and finally by the battle between Contador and Armstrong.

It isn't working.

Astana have sat on the front of the peleton for the whole week and if someone doesn't beat Contador or Armstrong up the hill tonight then I can't see the value in any many more late nights this week. Let's hope it's Cadel that does the beating.









Heinrich Haussler's win on Friday was definitely the highlight so far.

Edit: Ricky Ponting's attitude in the post-(losing the)match interview was just terrific. He deflected the umpire question with such grace and skill; the kind of class he normally reserves for high pressure innings. The acknowledgement he received from the crowd was also great to hear. One of my favourite 100-run loss tests.

The tour was not surprising, Contador kicked in to gear and left the field behind... I could hear the collective sigh of resignation as he sped away 'well that is settled'.

No comments:

Post a Comment